My standup comedian

Shawn’s jokes are mostly  forgotten 
They’re spontaneous 
There’re original
They’re hilarious
But it’s that moment
And then they’re gone
Out of my memory

The other day
While studying 

Name two solids
I said
Hindi book
Maths book
I didn’t mind
Because
I knew
He knew 
The right answer

We moved on
To liquids
Lizol
Soothol

I didn’t ask
About the gases

Science
Is his favourite subject
It’s easy to be funny

What does a pigeon give birth to
I ask
I want to hear 
Young ones
He says eggs

There’s a picture 
Of a caterpillar 
And leaves 
in a container 
With a mesh
The question is 
What will happen 
After  a few days

There’s no water

His anwer
The leaves
They will die
Because they’ll be
Eaten up

Then there’s English
What is the plural of sky?
Sky
That’s wrong
It’s skies
No he says
It’s sky
There is only one sky
Atleast in his world 

Social studies

There are two sets
Of clay pots
The picture from 
His textbook

The answer 
The pots are made
Different 
For storing 
Different types of things 

His answer
The potter
He made some
Large
And some small
I ask him why
He wrote this way
Mamma 
He says
If you were a potter
Wouldn’t you be bored
Of making the same pot
All over and over
Again?

I guess we too
Are meant to be different 
We were meant 
Not to be the same
Why would our potter
Make all children
The same
Over and Over
Again?

Some think he’s rude
Unashamed 
Not knowing how
To speak to elders
I do try
To tell him

But I know
In his own way
He’s trying to be funny

In him mind
All are equal
His parents
His grandparents
His classmates
His teachers
His friends
His cousins
The beggar

Be it the laundryman
Or the garbage collector
They ring the doorbell 
And ask for him
He speaks to them
He makes them laugh
If not anything 
With his piggy snort

His anger
Sometimes
Outbursts
He cries
To get his way
Or for sympathy 
When hurt
But
He’s getting there

A joker
He wants to be
A fine one he will make
I think

His jokes are all forgotten
But now I’ll preserve them
In this blog
So he can laugh
At his own
When he grows

If he still
Wants to be
A standup comedian 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The cancer within

Why haven’t I tried

A little less than average